June 7, 2011

Protective Males - Red Wing Black Bird & Canada Goose

I am always on the lookout for the new birds, but I am out of luck this year. Same birds as last year - bunch of Red Wing Black Birds and Canada Geese. Not to mention that their population have also increased more than usual.

We also have American Robins that are the most common birds hanging out around the residential areas. I remember one incident when in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia many moons ago, we met a man walking back from the four hour trail. He told us what he saw - a moose, a bear and one American Robin. We smiled. I don't really mind American Robins, because they have a very pleasant song, but I am starting to mind too many photos of them.



So far I was able to see hummingbirds only once. I found them in a local trail around my house. Saw them for few seconds and they were gone. Every year they come to see my chestnut tree, but not this year because the tree is already loosing flowers and the nuts are starting to form.



But what can I say, having the usual is better than nothing. Here on the first photo is a female Red Wing Black Bird. Amazing contrast in plumage between the female and the male red wing. Followed by the photo of a screaming or signing Red Wing Black Bird male. They usually make lot of noise when people pass by their nests. Males are very protective.



Another a very protective bird male is the Canada Goose. This one would jump on the railing close by where the nest was and would hiss on everyone passing by. I used to be scared, but I have noticed that if you do nothing and just walk, they will give you a warning only.

Well, my three year old bird continues to grow, sing, dance, and run. The latest and greatest he is the Superman boy called Matthew.

26 comments:

  1. One good thing, by the sound of things, is that you're not having trouble with feral birds. Here Indian Myna birds are taking over and in the process scaring the native birds away.

    As for protective males, many moons ago when my future wife and I were working as student nurses, I happened to speak to a patient about his behaviour towards her. Low and behold, my wife to be gave me a polite tongue lashing for being protective of her. Go figure!

    Take Care,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Piękne, piękne zdjęcia i wielki wyczyn żeby je zrobić. Pamiętam jak kiedyś chciałem sfotografować kosa, co ja się nabiegałem... Pozdrawiam Aniu gorąco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When geese challenge me, I challenge them back. They always back down. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These may be common birds for you, but the pictures are uncommonly good. I like the one of the goose warning you to stay away from his nest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures, Anna.... We have both of them here ---but I have a hard time getting pictures of the blackbirds. They don't come near the bird feeders..

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice collection! We've got quite a few geese and ducks here at the local pond, but I've not had my camera out to photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On way to my sister's house one day, I saw a falcon on an electricity pole.. ever since then every time I go to her home I take my camera with me hoping to see it again.. but no luck so far :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb! Photography means anna, that much your photos impress me being simple and greater in detail. That’s nice to have unusual and common birds instead of having nothing. Hummingbirds are hardly visible and capturing them is a tough task. Hope u capture them soon.
    My best wish to you and Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so clear and sharp and the birds looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anna,

    You always capture birds in such a delightful fashion. Whenever I look at your captions I feel in synch with nature :). Thank you.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi, lovely birds, make me itching to take some photo of those feathered fellows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anna - I was thinking of you and all your beautiful photos of birds today when I was eating an orange at work. As I sat there two quail and their brood came out of the grass just a few feet away. The babies must have been only a day or two old. They were no larger than a hens egg with feet. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm impressed. "New" birds all the time - and nice ones too. I seem never to be able to get passed the gulls

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great captures Anna! I am not so into birds myself, and can only enjoy yours and learn about them from what you write. Wishing you a great summer and talk soon dear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aniu, these are lovely shot.
    Greetings from Polish :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...I saw a lot of Red-winged Blackbirds today too...and got a lot of scolding from the males as I walked through the meadow. Your photos of the male and female are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always enjoy your bird photos Anna! I love the red wing black bird. So pretty . Would be awesome to capture a humming bird. I love them. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful images! I love the natural colors of these birds (Tans, browns and blacks).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know Red-winged Blackbirds are very common but they were a great favorite of mine in Canada - just love their strident calls. Nice photo you got there Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I'd like to know how to create the "read more" link please?

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anna:

    Unbelievable pictures. Absolutely stupendous. I would love to have such talent.

    Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're right, Anna, that some of the same old birds, is better than nothing. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. I'm glad the male goose let you slide by....

    I'm always happy too, to hear how much you are enjoying Matthew's growing years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the bird shots and of course the Canada Goose! We have the red wings here but so far mom has not been able to get a nice shot of one yet.
    --JB

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice to see the couple, side by side, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!